Wednesday, April 30, 2008

American Idol Recap, 4/30


Let me start by saying Paula has completely lost her mind. She actually started critiquing a performance that never happened. Maybe she saw it on the mothership.

Tween favorite Jason Castro sang “Forever in Blue Jeans” and “September Morn”. Sadly, he didn't do the songs an iota of justice. It’s starting to feel like he is singing the exact same song every week with the words changed up. Yawn. Next up, David Cook sang “I’m Alive” and “All I Really Need is You”. “I’m Alive” was certainly not the best. “All I Really Need is You” was much better, but I didn't know that song so it wasn’t as fun. Mr. Cook really needs to consult with me on his song choices. If I don’t enjoy it, how could anyone else?

And there’s my girlfriend Brooke. What a debacle. Her first song was “I’m a Believer”. It was horrible - by far the worst of the night. Her second was “I Am, I Said” – a little better, but not a show-stopper. And what was she wearing?! There were so many ruffles on that blouse I’m surprised she was able to play that guitar. And those silver pants – my God! Who let her out on stage like that?

Another tween favorite, David Archuleta sang “Sweet Caroline” and “America”. David can sing anything – except Neil Diamond. Technically he’s awesome, but the “soul” factor that Neil Diamond is known for just wasn’t there. If he starts smoking two packs a day he should be perfect by the time he hits 21. Syesha Mercado sang “Hello Again” and “Thank the Lord for the Nighttime”. I thought “Hello” was awesome. “Thank the Lord”, well, let’s just thank the Lord she sang an abbreviated version. No bueno. Overall I was kind of disappointed. Neil is the man, and it seemed like all the contestants were thinking “Fine, I’ll sing the old guy’s songs if I have to…” Step it up people!

No comments: