Wednesday, May 21, 2008

D-day on american idol

Clive’s Choices

David C. was given "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For" by U2. I’m not a huge U2 fan but have always loved this song. I loved the down-tempo beginning. Things seemed to take a weird turn when he took the platform behind the judges. I don’t know if he lost his focus or what, but he seemed a little off. It still rocked.

David A. was given "Don't Let the Sun Go Down on Me" by Elton John. Awesome song. I think he did a great job with it, although that lower range isn’t his strong suit. We thought there were few spots that were slightly off, but that’s a big song for a little boy. I thought he was going to wet his pants when Simon told him “it was the best performance blah blah blah…” Great job, but no David Cook.

Songwriting Competition – Contestant’s Choice

David C. sang "Dream Big" by Emily Shackelton. The song got bagged on from the judges and everyone else I’ve talked to, but I really didn’t think it was that bad. Regardless, he did a good job with it. I thought he looked and sounded like a pro on tour. I’ll tell you what though, I really wish they’d get rid of this stupid songwriting competition. It’s not fair that the contestants have to hang their careers on the aspirations of wanna-be songwriters.

David A. sang "In This Moment" by Ryan Gillmor. So, so predictable. The song was as cheesy as is he is. But like everything else, he sang it beautifully. I just wish he’d loose the cheese factor and step it up.

Contestant’s Choice:

David C. sang "The World I Know" by Collective Soul – another awesome song. The judges gave him a bunch of shit about “poor song choice” – whatever. It so rocked. There were several parts of the performance that were amazing. That last note took mad skills. And then Simon tells him he should’ve sung “Hello” or “Billie Jean” again. To which he responded, “why would I do something I’ve already done?”. This was a bit of a dig to Archuleta, who repeated his performance of “Imagine” for his third song.

David A. sang "Imagine" by John Lennon – again. What a cop out!! Yes he sang it beautifully, no question. Here’s my issue – he picked a song that he knew everyone would love, because he already sang it! I think it’s a bit like cheating really. Not to mention that fact that perhaps we wanted to hear something new out of him. Now that was a bad song choice.


To sum it up (here comes the cheese)

This is why David Cook should win – David C. feels music at a level that David A. isn’t even close to understanding. After his performance, he there stood shaking and in tears – I felt like he had completely exposed his soul in that performance, or did the best he could. I can’t imagine what that feels like in front of tens of millions of people – but he did it willingly. I’ve heard many people say that D.A. has more talent technically, but after “The Music of the Night” I know that’s not true either. He has an amazing talent, and the courage to inject a part of himself into everything he sings. That’s what sets him apart from everyone else, and why he’s going to win.

David A. without a doubt is one of the most talented artists we’ve seen yet, especially for his age. He has put up some amazing performances. Here’s my issue with David A. - he doesn’t seem to understand or “feel” his own talent, and therefore can’t put part of himself into it. This is probably because he’s just not mature enough. He has absolutely no style of his own, other than singing how he was taught – technically perfect. But you know, never once have I seen him in tears over a great performance. The only thing that seems to put David A. in tears is praise from the judges, and not the gift God has given him.

No comments: