Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Dreads does not a Rastafarian make


Walking into work this morning the first thing I saw was Kiley, from across the office, staring at me with dropped jaw, horrified. I knew immediately what she was thinking - Jason Castro. What WAS that? His first “performance” was “I Shot the Sherriff” by reggae legend Bob Marley. I was ready to shoot myself by the time it was over. I know I should have TIVO’d past it, but I couldn’t. Like a bad car wreck, I found myself rooted to the spot as the disaster unfolded, unable to act. Jason’s second song was “Mr. Tamborine Man”, but I think everyone was still trying to move on from the trauma of “Sherriff” to really listen. Wherever he is, I’m sure Bob Marley rolled a big fatty to console himself over the butchery of the iconic song that he’s known for. I wonder if he feels dirty somehow.

My personal friend David Cook was a bit disappointing with the cheesy 80’s favorite “Hungry Like the Wolf” by Duran Duran. Sorry Dave, Duran Duran was the LAST band I would have chose. Is that cheddar I smell? Very disappointing. His second song, “Babba O’Reilly” by The Who, well rocked. Once again he took a song that was awesome already, and turned it into an equally awesome but completely different. I really have to stop heaping on the praise though, because he’s starting to get a big head and won’t stop calling.

David Archuleta, The dow-eyed starlet of the show, sang “Stand By Me” and “Love Me Tender”. I did like that he broke out the King, but his sheepish grins and sycophantic air are really driving me nuts. Syesha Mercado sang “Proud Mary” by Tina Turner and “A Change is Gonna Come” by Sam Cooke. The only thing that really bugged me about her last night was her sad, sad attempt to dance like Tina Turner. First of all, she wasn’t wearing ANY fringe, and secondly no one can shake it like Tina.

We’ll be down to the final 3 tonight! I don’t know what the hell I’m gonna’ do with myself when this is over.

No comments: